An NPO’s strategic plan delineates the organization’s mission and goals. This information provides the foundations for the policies and procedures a board of directors will need to create. It is important, then, to appoint board members who are in alignment with the mission and goals of the organization, and who will be able to craft policies and procedures to support these goals. Creating the most effective board of directors for an NPO should be done through a targeted approach based on the specific needs of the organization.
In this Application, you will design an ideal board of directors that can successfully support the mission and goals of your final project organization.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources, focusing on how to build an effective board of directors.
- Consider the importance of identifying and recruiting board members who are aligned with the mission and goals of the organization.
- Think about the mission and goals of the NPO you are creating for your Final Project.
- Consider the different functions of board members that would support the mission and goals.
- Reflect on the types of people (i.e., backgrounds, strengths, expertise, etc.) who would most facilitate the functioning of your NPO.
The assignment: (1–2 pages)
- Design the ideal board of directors for the NPO you are creating for your Final Project. That is, state the number of board members you would recruit for the ideal board for your NPO, and then explain the role or function each would assume as a board member.
- Describe each member in detail, including his/her background, strengths, and specifics that he/she would contribute to the board and thus to the organization.
- Justify each of your selections based on the purpose, roles, and responsibilities of board members.