Basics of Latin Music
The basics of Latin Music
User: mascuba – Added: 10/12/07
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dafWseVsJCY
2.The Cha Cha
Here are examples of 3 Latin American dance styles. Please watch an excerpt from each video and compare/contrast them when listing your observations. Consider how the music and dance relate to each other.
2009 Blackpool Dance Festival Am Latin Final ChaCha
User: kcballroom – Added: 9/23/09
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91CGONvxwG0
2008 blackpool rumba quarter final heat 2
User: larrybardo – Added: 12/4/08
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPRzw4OREog
Samba Finals 2008 Blackpool Professional Latin Dancesport
User: mspascasio – Added: 8/16/08
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ee77XWhujY
This is a video of the famous guitarist Santana performing “Oye coma va”. This is a great example of some excellent musicians performing in Latin Style. As you listen, see if you can recognize other elements of music from other countries and genres. (ex. one Middle eastern scale, rock n’roll, American jazz, etc.)
Carlos Santana — Oye Como Va [[ Official Live Video ]] HD
User: lakeparadisemusic1 – Added: 2/13/11
6. How is the African-Ecuadorian sanjuan “ Me gusta la leche” actually an example of a hybrid music?
7. How is the Andean music ensemble now truly in international phenomenon?
8. What are some features of the Peruvian wayno, and how is it that Chaskinakuy captures its character so well in their rendition of “Amor impossible”?
9. How do the lyrics of the Afro-Peruvian lando “Azucar de cana” reflect the ecology and culture of its home region?
10. What are two examples, discussed in this chapter, of the revival/reinterpretation/transplantation of traditional Latin American musics?
What elements of Latin American music make it distint and unique from other cultures?