It is important to be able to read case law and/or federal and state regulations. Read the case of Simkins v. Moses H. Cone Mem. Hosp. 323 F.2d 959 (4th Cir. 1963) and the opinion of Sobeloff, Chief Judge.
The case is a good example of how federal laws came into play in the affairs of state action.
1. At what level of the judicial court system did this legal opinion occur?
2. What was the opinion of the lower court that was finally overturned in Simkins?
3. Explain at least one the federal laws that was highlighted in Simkins v. Moses H. Cone .
4. How did the federal law play a role in deciding this case?
5. Identify and discuss the Constitutional amendments and issues in the case.
6. Explain why the case was limited in its reach.
7. Identify the federal official and agency that finally extended the cases’ ruling and how the cases’ outcome spread across the Nation.
8. Read the blog “Basic Health Access”; Is the Institutes of Medicine Waking Up? (February 22, 2013) http://basichealthaccess.blogspot.com/ Discuss why you think that Simkins v. Moses H. Cone Mem. Hospital makes or fails to make a big difference in decreasing health inequities?
1. Limit your responses to a maximum of five pages, not including title and reference list pages.
2. Be sure to utilize at least 3-4 scholarly references to support your discussions.
3. Be sure to properly cite your references within the text of your assignment and listed at the end.
4. Be sure to apply critical thinking skills to the write-up of your assignment, especially concerning #6 above.