a. Examine and discuss the demographics of the community and school. Relate how community and school demographics impact student learning. Include the following:
1) The school’s name (create a pseudonym)
2) Location and description of the school and its community
3) Grade levels
4) Student enrollment
5) Student demographics
6) Number of teachers
7) School’s mission statement/vision (with discussion of the school’s goals and values and alignment to the school culture
b. Draw on the school profile and relevant assessment data to inform a vision of learning that supports and promotes a positive school culture.
1) Examine the most recent reading and mathematics standardized test data for all grade levels tested at this school. If possible, utilize the school databases to extract and analyze data, or go to the school district website, state department of education, or other official source for information. Data may also be obtained from the school principal.
2) State the name of the standardized test administered at your school. Graphically represent the data for each grade level tested. Summarize the information that you found. Analyze patterns, strengths, and weaknesses related to reading and mathematics achievement.
c. Based on the findings from your data analysis, recommend a problematic subject area, either reading or mathematics, to focus on for your school improvement plan.
d. Explain your rationale for selecting the subject area to work on and describe the specific aspect(s) of this subject area that are of particular concern.
e. List your major goal(s) for the reading or mathematics improvement plan and describe how the goal(s) and the process relate to the school’s mission and vision.