Health Insurance Benefits
Managers need to understand the impact on the financial viability of a health service organization for providing care to the uninsured or underinsured. Review the following case scenario and provide a substantive 150 to 200 word response that thoroughly answers each of the following questions:
Joe Smith is a 27- year-old Caucasian male who works two part-time jobs for two different construction companies. Joe has been having dizzy spells off and on for the past two months. While driving to work one day, he loses consciousness and is involved in a motor vehicle accident. Joe is admitted to your not-for-profit hospital with a broken leg and multiple lacerations.
- Does Mr. Smith fit the typical profile for an uninsured person in the United States? Justify your answer.
- How will your hospital most likely be reimbursed for Mr. Smith’s medical care?
- During the recent economic downturn, your community has experienced unemployment rates of approximately 9%. What can be done to mitigate the effects of the financial impact to your organization?
Managing Financial Budgets
Health care financial management is complex and an effective health care administrator must understand what makes up the foundation to financial operations. This includes: health insurance (private and social) and reimbursements, private vs. not-for profit entities, costs and expenditures, capital, materials management, and budgeting. Provide a substantive 150 to 250 word initial post that fully answers the following questions:
- Outline and discuss the major categories of reimbursements and costs in a health care organization. How do they influence each other?
- In addition, how do expenses and revenues affect the specific types of budgets outlined?