General instructions for HRMN 362 Final Exam for Professor Ross
1. Save your paper as follows: 362Finalfirstnamelastname.doc Upload to Assignments Folder.
2. Double Space, Times New Roman, 12-point font, 1-inch margins, black type, use headings between essay questions and you may also use subheadings within an answer. Title page, references and paper must be in APA style. You must place your references at the end of each question and reference them in your response
3. Please spell check and grammar check carefully.
4. The Title Page must be centered and include the course number and name, your name, Final Exam, and the date.
5. Submit your exam in the Assignments Folder – do not send it to my email address. Do not cut and paste it in the assignments folder.
6. You must use a minimum of three (3) references for each response. Your references must be from the UMUC library, a scholarly source or a reliable online source. Wikipedia, online dictionaries or a brief paragraph from an obscure newspaper are not acceptable. You may use them to make a point, but they cannot be part of your three references.
7. The length of each answer depends on your style of writing; however, it must be complete and substantive. It must also be well organized and clearly written.
8. Submit your Final Exam by 11:00 PM March 9, 2014. Unfortunately, I cannot be lenient with the due date as I must have all exams graded within three days.
Specific Instructions for Final Exam:
Please select and respond to five of the following essay questions. Each answer is worth 6 points or a total of 30 points for the Final Exam. Part of your grade will depend on the items listed above. If you have a question, post it in the Q & A or Private Message me.
Good Luck All!!!!
Final Exam HRMN 362
Please select and respond to five (5) of the following essay questions.
Each answer is worth 6 points or a total of 30 points for the Final Exam.
- Explain the major ways in which the U. S. government is an important participant in the labor relations process.
- What are the major activities of the AFL-CIO today? What is the purpose and role of the organization?
- Identify two (2) different steps a company should take to prepare for its first round of bargaining with the union (pre-negotiation activities). Explain why each of the steps you have identified is critical to achieving an initial successful collective bargaining agreement with the union.
- Identify and explain one strategy or tactic an employer is permitted to use during a union organizing campaign and one strategy a union is permitted to use. Explain your response.
- Some means of resolving negotiations impasses involve economic weapons (e.g. strikes and lockouts). There are other means of impasse resolution, which do not involve the use of economic weapons (e.g. fact finding, mediation, arbitration/ interest arbitration, etc). Select two ( 2) non-economic means of impasse resolution: 1) explain how each functions and 2) discuss the relative pros and cons of each.
- Explain the purpose, structure and major functions of the NLRB. What are the major criticisms of the Board and its processes?
- What do you see as the future of unions in the United States? Support your answer with at least two specific examples, references or statistics.
- Although multinational corporations seem to be growing in size and influence, what must occur before transnational collective bargaining can be effectively carried out?
- A thin line differentiates employee grievances and employee complaints. Discuss the problems involved in defining a grievance, indicating why a broad definition of employee grievances is both confusing and necessary.
- List and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of off-shoring jobs.
- List and discuss some of the advantages or disadvantages in using seniority as a factor to determine shift preference or overtime assignments?
- List and discuss the similarities and differences between the Knights of Labor (KOL) and the Industrial Workers of the World.