As you have discovered through this course, nurses are influential members of the community and the political system. Therefore, for the purposes of this assignment you will identify a problem or concern in your community, organization, etc. that has the capacity to be legislated. You will conduct research and state a proposal. Through the legislative process, your proposal for the problem or concern may influence an idea for change into a law.
First, refer to the “How a Bill Becomes a Law” media.
Complete the Legislative Assignment using the SBAR template
Legislative Worksheet (SBAR Format) –
How a Bill Becomes a Law
SITUATION: IS THIS SOMETHING THAN CAN BE LEGISLATED?
• Identify the problem/concern:
• State your proposal/idea.
• Include studies, reports, personal experience, or anecdotal stories related to your proposal.
• Has there been similar legislation introduced and/or passed in other states? If so, include it.
• Identify financial impact if any (e.g., added costs, cost savings, increased revenue):
• Identify stakeholder groups that would support this bill:
• Identify people/groups that would oppose this bill:
• Make an appointment with your legislator to discuss your proposal.