In order to successfully complete this assignment, this typed research paper should be 6-8 pages in length, double-spaced, and in 12 font. All direct and indirect quotes should be cited consistently using MLA or Chicago formatting. This reading response requires no additional research.
Your paper should include a title page, including your name, student number, and date, (it is recognized that MLA formatting does not require a title page—however, even if you do use MLA, you must do so in this instance). You must also include, on a separate page, a bibliography of the sources you used for your paper. The title page and bibliography do not count towards the required length of your paper.
– To read academic materials closely and carefully
– To critically think about the material that is presented and read
– To write a response that clearly conveys one’s reading and critical thinking skills
Clementin-Ojha, Catherine. “Outside the Norms: Women Ascetics in Hindu Society.” Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 23, No. 18 (Apr. 30, 1988), pp. WS34-WS36.
Please answer the following questions in your reading response:
1) What is Clementin-Ojha’s thesis? That is, what is she arguing in her work?
2) How does she prove her thesis? Specifically, what types of sources does she use, what is her approach to the material, etc.?
3) Based on what you now know from our course, how well do you think she proves her thesis? Is it in keeping with other scholarly works on gender and sexuality that we have already covered in class? If yes, how it is similar? If not, how is it different? (for this aspect of the question, I encourage you to cite alternate course readings).
4) What do you perceive the value of her work to be? Does it contribute to the field of study relating to sexuality and religion?