In this course, you are required to complete a research paper about one of the topics of your choice discussed in the course. Your research paper should be 1,500-2,000-words and reflect critical thinking and analysis. Refer to the Academic Writing Guidelines Resource located in the Course Materials section for assistance with this.
Review the topics in the course and choose a topic to focus your research paper on. Some suggestions include:
- Pharmacological treatment for substance use disorders
- The history of the increase in opiate addiction
- Opiate replacement treatment approaches
- Detoxification from alcohol and opiates
- The psychopharmacology of methamphetamines
Select a topic and compile a list of references that you will use to support the content of your “Research Paper” A minimum of six scholarly sources are required.
Create an outline for the final paper that follows standard outline formatting standards. Be sure to include the following in your outline to ensure the final paper addresses all required content:
- Brief history of the drug
- Psychopharmacology of the drug
- Current trends or issues
- Societal concerns or issues related to the topic
- Significance or relevance of topic to the counseling profession
- Any future implications
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.