For this assignment, the vice president of strategy for your selected firm (Ford, Procter and Gamble, or Virgin Group) has asked you to prepare an objective review of the internal strengths and weaknesses of the firm. Your leaders are hoping to use this understanding to plan for the future direction of the organization. Prepare a 4–6 page executive briefing report identifying not only internal strengths and weaknesses, but also a rationale that addresses why your analysis pointed to a particular strength or a weakness. Also be sure to focus on strategic elements (capabilities) of the firm and on how the strategic elements fit into the strategic position of the company.
By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assignment criteria:
- Competency 3 – Analyze the strategic fit of the goals and values of the organization.
- Explain possible ethical dilemmas and governance issues.
- Competency 4 – Analyze the strategic fit of organizational resources and capabilities.
- Evaluate how the selected firm leverages its resources and capabilities to execute the business strategy.
- Competency 5 – Analyze the strategic fit of an organization’s structure and business systems.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the organizational structure and management system design.
- Competency 7 – Communicate in a manner that is professional and consistent with expectations for members of the business professions.
- Write coherently to support a central idea (in appropriate APA format) with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics as expected of a business professional.
Use the Capella University Library, Internet, your text case studies, or the firm research information in the Assignment Resources to find at least four current, scholarly, or professional resources for this assignment. Note: You are to use the same firm for all coursework so be sure the firm is of interest to you.
For this assignment, an Executive Briefing Report template is available in the Assignment Resources. Use headings and subheadings to help organize the key points of your 4-6 page executive briefing report and include the following:
- Evaluate how the selected firm leverages its resources and capabilities to execute the business strategy. Are the firm’s capabilities found in its functions or the value chain, or both? Does the strategy give coherence to decisions about allocation of resources?
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the organizational structure and management system design. Include the firm’s ability to support the key resources and capabilities that execute the business strategy. Is the organizational structure suited for the particular tasks and particular business environment of the firm?
- Explain possible ethical dilemmas and governance issues. These issues may include shareholders and stakeholders, distribution of excess profits, and top management’s pay.
Write coherently to support a central idea (in appropriate APA format) with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics as expected of a business professional.
- References: Support your executive briefing report with at least four academic resources from the Capella University Library. You must use proper APA style and format for citations and references.
- Length: The body of the report must be 4–6 double-spaced, typed pages, not including the references list.
- Written communication: Demonstrate graduate-level writing skills through accurate communication of thoughts that convey the overall goals of the analysis and do not detract from the message.
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 point.
Refer to the Internal Analysis Scoring Guide to ensure that you meet the grading criteria for this assignment.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.