MGT 660 Capstone Project Overview
Creation of a market entry plan, or creation of a market expansion plan, or an M&A plan
The structure of this assignment is comprehensive and integrative. It requires synthesis and evaluation of information, skills and knowledge developed throughout your degree program. This final 8 week project (introduced the 1st week of the class) will serve as a culminating project.
Each week, the student will have a specific portion to submit as described in the modules. Prepare each assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required. The following is the outline of the Plan that the student is advised to follow as closely as possible. Each topic will address one or few specific competencies or learning outcomes. Each competency will be graded and assessed using the attached rubric.
1. Overview Describe briefly the context and your organization (500 word maximum). a) Articulate the vision, mission, and strategy of your organization (or business unit or division). b) What are the sources of competitive advantage? c) What is the business opportunity? Due by the end of Module 1
2. Environmental analysis and Industry Analysis Using the Segments of the General Environment write the environmental analysis of your Capstone Project (500 word maximum) a) Incorporate the Five Forces of Competition to help write the Industry analysis of your Capstone Project. b) Use the CAGE model (if you are entering global or international markets) applicable) to help you write the industry analysis of your Capstone Project. c) What do you see as being the trends, outlook or forecast for the type of organization that you are writing about in your Capstone Project? Due by the end of Module 2
3. Marketing Plan for the Capstone Project Based on the organization you have selected, this week you will write a 750-1000 word Marketing Plan. You can use the Marketing Plan Sample as a template for this section, omitting those topics covered in other sections of the Capstone document. a) What is your target market? b) What is the size of your potential target market? c) Describe the 4 Ps of marketing in your organization (product/positioning, pricing, promotion, and placement). Due by the end of Module 3
4. Organizational Plan Based on the organization you have selected, for this module you will write a (750 word maximum) Organizational Plan that addresses the following:
a) Describe who will comprise your management team and what talents or skills each of the team members will bring to the organization. Include a simple organizational chart. b) Outline a McKinsey 7-S Assessment/Model as it applies to your business. c) Describe the Business level strategy and how it fits with the corporate level strategy. Due by the end of Module 4
5. Operational Plan Based on the organization you have selected, this week you will write a (500 word maximum) Operational Plan that addresses the following (guidelines): a) What is the supply chain for your prospective organization? Where does your organization bring value in this supply chain? b) Who are your main partners and suppliers? What are their locations? What is your contingency plan? c) How will you optimize operational effectiveness in your organization? How will you ensure your firm is lean? d) Consider your operational plan from a value chain perspective and identify and discuss the primary and support activities. Due by the end of Module 5
6. Financial Plan Based on the organization you have selected, this week you will write a Financial Plan (500 word maximum) plus spreadsheet(s) to address the following: a) Using Excel,create a three year Pro Forma income statement for your organization (or product/service). b) What will be your financial break-even point? c) If you require investment capital, identify possible sources (friends, family, banks, USSBA, etc.) d) How will you use financial information to help you craft your business strategy? e) What key financial ratio will you be using to measure the performance of your organization to determine success? Due by the end of Module 6
7. Critical Risks Assessment and Milestones Schedule for the Capstone Project Based on the organization you have selected, this week you will write a (500 word maximum, plus a spreadsheet) Critical Risk Assessment and Milestones Schedule that addresses the following: a) Describe the preferred timing and objectives of your business plan. Include an Excel spreadsheet with critical decisions and dates. b) What contingency plans will you have in place for any issues that may arise? Due by the end of Module 7
8. Strategic Leadership and Entrepreneurship Analysis There are three assignments for this module pertaining to the Capstone Project: Strategic Leadership and the Executive Summary Based on the organization you have selected, this week you will write a (500 word maximum) Strategic Leadership and Entrepreneurship section that addresses the following topics: a) What is your sphere of influence in your organization? Based on this, what impact can you have on the implementation of your business plan? b) What is your own bias? c) What hurdles do you anticipate? d) What leadership style will you have to demonstrate? Where do you fall short? e) What are your strengths and weaknesses as it relates to your business? f) How can you impact and influence others and your future organization to deliver the results you expect? 9. Executive Summary Revise the Overview written in Module One into an Executive Summary of your business plan. a) Include a few sentences to describe each section of the Business Plan so the reader can understand what will follow in the detailed sections of the plan. 10. Finalize the Strategic Business Plan Integrate the plan components developed in each module into a finalized Strategic Business Plan. Incorporate any feedback from your instructor into the final document as well.