pictures of Umm Kulthum – “The Voice of Egypt
List 5 observations for each of the 2 items below (15 observations total). List you items in the “submission” section below.
As, you listen and watch please be thinking about the impact and power this woman had in her culture.
1. Here are many pictures of Umm Kulthum – “The Voice of Egypt”. Please list 5 things that you find interesting about Umm Kulthum.
Oum kalthoum-OM KALSOUM-Taleal Bedru Aleyna
User: princeersin – Added: 9/22/06
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Z_EZPw3yI
2. Here is a video of Umm Kulthum singing. Pay attention to the instrumentation of the ensemble. There are western orchestral instruments (violins, cellos, bass), an electric guitar, and some Eastern instruments. Why do you think Umm Kulthum gained such great popularity?
Omm Kalthoum-Inta Omri
User: armacino89 – Added: 5/16/07
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjfH8a8wDOU
After reading and reviewing all of the material on Umm Kultham – “The Voice of Egypt” at http://almashriq.hiof.no/egypt/700/780/umKoulthoum/biography.html, please complete the following assignment.
Umm Kulthum Questions
1. What is the most reliable suggested date of Umm Kulthum’s birth?
2. How did Umm Kulthum describe her mother?
3. How would you explain the village where Umm Kulthum grew up?
4. What city did Umm Kulthum and her family moved to in order to promote her career?
5. What changes in he singing style enabled her to rise to the top of the ranks of Cairo’s professional singers by 1928?
What roles did gender and music play in the popularity of Umm Kulthum?