The following is an open-book exam. Please answer five (5) of the following essay questions. Each question is worth 20 points. Your response should be submitted as a Microsoft Word attachment, using 12-point font, double-spacing, and one-inch margins. A well-written response will incorporate course concepts and include appropriate reasons, evidence, and/or examples as support for your position
- Give an example of a situation that you and someone else experienced together but perceived differently. Which perceptual biases/distortions might explain the difference in perception?
- Congratulations, you have just made a PowerPoint presentation to top management that led to cheers and applause from the executive group. Use attribution theory to explain whether the executives will attribute your accomplishment to your internal qualities.
- Recall that attitudes have three components-affective, behavioral, and cognitive. Suppose that a salesperson is required to sell damaged televisions for the full retail price, without revealing the damage to customers. She believes, however, that doing so constitutes unethical behavior. What predictions would you make regarding the salesperson’s attitude and/or behavior? Explain your answer.
- John and Mary are full professors in the same medical school department of a large private university. As a private institution, neither the school nor the university makes the salaries and benefits of its faculty a matter of public record. Mary has pursued a long-term (fourteen years) career in the medical school, rising through the academic ranks while married to a successful businessman with whom she has raised three children. Her research and teaching contributions have been broad ranging and award winning. John joined the medical school within the last three years and was recruited for his leading-edge contribution to a novel line of research on a new procedure. Mary thought he was probably attracted with a comprehensive compensation package, yet she had no details until an administrative assistant gave her some information about salary and benefits a month ago. Mary learned that John’s base contract salary is 16 percent higher than hers ($250,000 versus $215,000), that he was awarded an incentive pay component for the commercialization of his new procedure, and that he was given an annual discretionary travel budget of $35,000 and a membership in an exclusive private club. Mary is in a quandary about what to do. Given pressures from the board of trustees to hold down costs associated with public and private pressure to keep tuition increases low, Mary wonders how to begin to close this $70,000 inequity gap. Propose threespecific strategies that would enable Mary to resolve the inequity.
- Based on your understanding of the job characteristics model, propose three changes you would make to your current (or past) job that would result in greater job enrichment.
- Describe specific actions you would take as a group leader at each of the five stages of group development to ensure that your group functions smoothly.