Unit 2 Assignment
Outcomes addressed in this activity:
· Explain the characteristics of a network application.
· Describe where network applications fit into the OSI model of network layers and functions.
· Assess network application architectures and compare uses of different application architectures.
· Explain how the fundamental applications processes operate.
· Evaluate which application architectures are appropriate for differing network scenarios.
IT530-1:Analyze the business impact of data communications and networking technology.
1. Web servers (and browsers) are one of the most familiar and commonly used network applications. Research and compare two Web server technologies of your choice (such as Apache® or Weblogic™, for example) and discuss their differing functionalities, cost of deployment, general rate of adoption by businesses and other pertinent points. Which Web server software is most commonly used? Why?
Would you be more likely to adopt an open source Web server application? Or not? What would be the advantages or disadvantages of using an open source Web server application?
2. Based on your research, write a 6-8 page paper that researches the use, adoption, and implementations of two different Web server technologies. The paper should also discuss the costs and support considerations of the Web server applications.
Preparing Your Assignment:
The written essay/paragraph formatted paper should be 6–8 pages long NOT including cover page and references. As you research various access technologies, ALL of the pages must have citations and references. No more than one direct quotation (of 40 words or more) is allowed per page and bullet lists without substantial narrative included are strongly discouraged. There should be no spelling or grammar errors. All written Assignments should be in APA format. APA formatted in-text citations and references are required for all sources, and all figures and tables must be captioned in APA format. If you are unfamiliar with APA formatting, please see the Kaplan Writing Center for more information on how to work with APA.
Directions for Submitting Your Assignment:
Copyright Kaplan University
Assignment Grading Rubric
Course: IT530 Unit: 2 Points: 90
Compose your Assignment in a Microsoft Word document and save it as Username-IT530 Assignment – Unit#.doc (Example: TAllen- IT530 Assignment-Unit2.doc). Submit your file by selecting the Unit 2: Assignment Dropbox by the end of Unit 2.
All papers must meet these standard requirements:
Paper follows APA formatting
Length is 6–8 pages long, not including references and cover page No more than three bulleted or listed points per paper.
No more than one direct quote per page from a reference source and those quotes must be properly cited within the body and in the references at the end of the paper.
Title page Reference page
Answers contain sufficient information to adequately answer the questions and contain no spelling, grammar, or APA errors. Points deducted from grade for each writing, spelling, or grammar error are at your instructor’s discretion.
For more information and examples of APA formatting, see the resources in Doc sharing or visit the KU Writing Center from the KU Homepage.
Also review the KU Policy on Plagiarism. This policy will be strictly enforced on all applicable assignments and discussion posts. If you have any questions, please contact your professor.