Using and citing a minimum of five sources, prepare a formal report detailing important information and issues revolving around your chosen career.
Work on your Final Assessment begins with your description of your chosen career as part of Written Activity 1. The finished report will reflect your work on each of the subsequent activities and require clear language; appropriate document design and page layout; one or more visuals; an understanding of the technical writing process; the ability to use the Internet to obtain appropriate data; clearly written explanations, descriptions, and definitions; and use of appropriate correspondence.
Successful completion of the final assessment will demonstrate that you have met the course goals as described in the course Syllabus.
A useful place to begin is theOccupational Outlook Handbook provided online by the Bureau of Labor Statistics of U.S. Department of Labor. Clickhttp://www.bls.gov/oco to go to this site.
Careful use of theHandbook of Technical Writing is important as you work on this project, which should include the following: (References to Handbook entries below are in boldface uppercase letters.)
- ACOVER LETTER following the appropriate conventions ofCORRESPONDENCE informing your Mentor of what is being sent and why. Your letter should also explain any possible action you might take as a result of what you found. Did your research confirm what you previously believed or did it provide new insight?
Note: YourPOINT OF VIEW in the letter is personal and subjective, so you should write it in first person. TheREPORT itself should be objective and written in third person.
- AFORMAL REPORT including a Title Page, Abstract, Introduction, Body Text, Conclusions, Works Cited, and Appendixes.
- A DescriptiveABSTRACT.
- AnINTRODUCTION that places your chosen career in the context of todayâ€™s job market. Possibly useful information may range from the economy to the relative importance of the job.
- AREPORT that at a minimum includes information describing the necessary education, credentials, and training; the typical duties; starting and potential salaries and other benefits; and the prognosis for future employment and advancement. Use Parenthetical Documentation (either APA or MLA style as appropriate) to indicate the source of all data and quotations as described inDOCUMENTING SOURCES. Also include one or moreVISUALS such asTABLES orGRAPHS. Be sure to refer to each visual at least once in your text.
- ACONCLUSION that summarizes your findings and discusses the implications of embarking on such a career path.
- A list of References or Works Cited that contains a minimum of seven (7) sources that are named and used in the body of your report. Be sure to review the conventions found inDOCUMENTING SOURCES.
- AnAPPENDIX that includes two or more typicalJOB DESCRIPTIONS that you have found online to illustrate actual jobs in the career you have chosen. The actual job descriptions should be placed in the Appendix in their entirety, but they should also be referred to at least once in the body of your report.
For grading standards for all written work submitted for this course, see the Course Documents area of the course Web site.