YOU HAVE TO SEARCH FOR AN ARTICLE THAT COULD BE COMPARED AND CONTRASTED WITH THE ESSAY ATTACHED.
Goals: Critical Thinking Levels
• Understand: Students will be able to summarize two essays of college level depth and length (outside source must be at least five pages) by abstracting main points of both essays.
• Compare: Students will detect connections or differences between the main essay and their one outside source.
• Apply: Students will apply the correct procedures for integrating appropriate short quotes and one long quote within paper using correct MLA documentation.
• Evaluate: Students will judge the thesis of the main essay and outside source and will determine how the outside research article is consistent with the main essay’s views or how the research article presents different criteria on the main topic (e.g. bilingual education).
• Apply: Students will apply the suggestions on how to organize their final product by using various writing conventions and procedures to develop a coherent summary/comparison-contrast paper.
Length: Five typed pages (no shorter-no longer)
Audience: College-level who have some familiarity with topics
Format: MLA, with MLA documentation, parenthetical documentation, and a works cited page.
One primary source UNDER THE INFLUENCE
One secondary source which is a peer review article
You must hand in a photocopy of your outside source, highlighting material used.
Information on Organizing Your Paper
Outline: Include a typed formal topic outline with a concrete thesis (LB, pp. 22-23)
Introduction: The beginning of your essay should introduce us to the author and the article of UNDER THE INFLUENCE. You will include 1) the author’s full name, 2) the credentials of the author, 3) the kind of work (essay, excerpt, etc.), 4) the title of the work, 5) the date of the writing.
You should include any other background you want to provide regarding the topic (assume a college level audience). The last sentence of your introduction is your own restatement of the author’s thesis about the topic.
Summary: After the introduction, write a two page detailed summary of UNDER THE INFLUENCE essay. Your summary should not be personal comments on the essay or a response to any of its main points. It should merely restate the main ideas of the essay in multiple paragraphs. You will include at least one direct quote per body paragraph in your summary to prove your thesis of AR author.
Comparison/Contrast:In this section, you will briefly summarize (only one or two sentences) your outside research article and then the remainder of your paragraphs will compare and/or contrast it to UNDER THE INFLUENCE essay in block by block format. You should use appropriate transitional words to introduce your second article (LB, p. 50). In this section, you will explain how the author agrees or disagrees with the information from UNDER THE INFLUENCE. You will also include a direct quote per body paragraph. You must include the 1) author’s full name, 2) the credentials of the author, 3) the kind of work (essay, newspaper article, etc.), 4) title of the work.
Conclusion: Your last paragraph should contain synthesis about the main topic, comments or new knowledge about this topic, and a final note of significance about this topic.
Works Cited: The final page of your essay will be a Works Cited page (p. 6) in which you have used the correct MLA format to document the articles you have chosen.